Friday, June 13, 2014

Web Site Issues

Currently,  Beauty and the Beast Costumes is trying to get a website up and running by the start of the next school year.  Let me tell you, it's a lot harder now than it was when I built my first homepage back in the late 80's.  Jumping back into it is kind of like saying "Sure!  I can ride a bike."  Meaning that I used to peddle around the neighborhood on a bike with a banana seat and tassels on the handle bars, and I looked pretty darned snazzy doing it!  Now it feels like everyone expects me to ride a big old Harley down the free way weaving in and out of Mac Trucks.

                                                   DOES NOT EQUAL


After spending a couple of weeks banging my head against the wall fighting with the "alleged" WTYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) Drag and Drop interfaces both here on this blog and on GoDaddy's website builder, I'm throwing in the towel.  I've called in the cavalry to help me build my frame work.  As an old Advertising Arts major, I kind of know what I want, I just don't seem to be able to make it happen.  Luckily, I have some amazing friends who are going to try to make that happen.

My dear friend sat down with me and showed me some of his work.  My website might not be as slick and fancy as some major corporation's million dollar site, but that's ok.  The price is right and there aren't a lot of website builders who barter for costumes in this world.  And as long as it FUNCTIONS correctly, I can work on that face lift later.  The upside is that GoDaddy supports both Drupal and WordPress, the two most suggested builders.

The main focus points for the website are:
  • Promote Beauty and the Beast Costumes (Duh!  Isn't that what all company websites are for?)
  • Provide a visual reference for my rental stock.
  • Explain the scope of our retail variety.
  • Show support of our local community.  (We do a lot more than you know about!)
  • HAVE FUN!!!!  Because what's the point of having a costume shop if it's not fun?
The first thing we need to do is provide photos of what is truly unique about Beauty and the Beast Costumes - and that is our hand made, on site Rental Stock.  Our website needs to contain and manage an image data base so that people can find what they are looking for... or at least get a better idea of what we have.  Our rental stock doesn't really change that much over time.  We constantly add more, but we don't "sell out" or "discontinue" items like we do in the retail departments.

So, while my Web Team is working on getting the site to function, I've been taking and processing photos.  When we get everything up and running correctly, then we'll work on tweeking the 'look' of the page.  HOPEFULLY - we'll get that much done before the end of summer.  I would love to get FUN stuff going before Halloween.... Like Coupons, Give Aways, Contests, etc.  But let's go one step at a time, otherwise, it's going to be like putting chrome exhaust pipes on my little pink bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment